Follow these tips for preventing fires around your property!
- Clear any buildup of pine needles, leaves, and other flammable materials from your roof, gutters, porch, and under your deck.
- Trim larger trees’ limbs to heights of at least 10 feet. Make sure there is about 5 feet between branches of other large trees.
- Weed-whack or mow long grass around your home. Ideally, you want to have at least 30 feet of short, watered lawn around your home.
- Move wood piles more than 30 feet from your home.
- Remove propane tanks from within 30 feet of your home. In a wildfire, they can vent and shoot flame vertically.
- Install visible house numbers on your home, driveway, and street.
- Repair shingles, tiles, and other roofing material.
- Use metal mesh (1/8-inch mesh is good) to prevent embers from landing in vents and eaves and under decks.
- Know your family’s emergency plan if a wildfire comes quickly.